Malloy helps break ground for New Haven Winchester Lofts housing complex
(9/10/2013) New Haven Register - In the shadow of long-vacant former Winchester Repeating Arms Co. buildings, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy joined Mayor John DeStefano Jr. and officials from Yale, Science Park and Forest City Residential Development Tuesday to break ground for the new, 158-unit Winchester Arms housing complex.
The development, the second phase of a two-phase, $59.26 million mixed-use project to breathe life into the long-vacant former Winchester factory, previously had stalled.
It was hailed Tuesday, however, as a new model for public, private and institutional partnership.
The apartments will be built in a part of the old Winchester factory — part of it built in the 1880s and part built around 1914 — that used to be where gun barrels were drilled and wood for rifles was kiln-dried, one longtime observer said.
“Let me be very clear: we believe housing is a very important part of our economic development strategy here in Connecticut,” Malloy said just before the groundbreaking. For years, previous governors “retreated from building housing” but “this administration is all about building housing.”
This is an excerpt. To read the entire article, please click on the link below.
Follow this link for more information.